July is National Bison Month – so fire up the grill and indulge in chef Kathy Cary’s Bison Blue Cheese Burgers. These juicy burgers, made with delicious ground bison, come with a melted blue cheese surprise inside and are topped with grilled red onions and fennel. Executive chef and owner of Lilly’s in Louisville, Kentucky, Cary has featured her popular bison burger for two consecutive National Bison Month celebrations. With this burger specialty, your BBQ guests will eagerly come back for seconds – just as they do at Lilly’s.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground bison
- 2 Tbs. good quality Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. roasted & chopped shallots & garlic
- 2 red onions sliced
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 bulbs fennel sliced
- 1 tsp. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- splash extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- good quality blue cheese or Roquefort
Combine all ingredients and form 6 patties adding approximately 1 teaspoon of blue cheese into the center of each patty. Grill to order. Serve with rosemary roasted
potatoes and homemade coleslaw. Serves 6
- 2 sliced red onions drizzled with extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Grill until tender.
- 2 bulbs of fennel, sliced & sautéed until tender.
- Toss the onions & fennel together and place on a bison burger.
CHEF KATHY CARY
Food Photography: Jason McConathy
Recipe Styling: Cook Street School of Fine Cooking – Denver, CO
Recipe from National Bison Association